‘We are really happy and satisfied with how many Finnish political leaders, members of the European Parliament and experts we were able to involve in this year’s event. Once again, the forum had a high-quality programme, and for that I would like to express my sincere thanks to all the programme organisers and cooperation partners. We are now turning our attention to next year’s forum, which will be more participatory and international,’ says Mayor of Turku Minna Arve.
The Europe Forum enables a dialogue
Like the previous year, this year’s Europe Forum Turku was specifically aimed at enabling a dialogue between decision-makers, experts and citizens. During the forum, citizens were able to comment and ask questions both in person and through a mobile application used by the event.
‘The second Europe Forum Turku was a success. The event grew to new heights compared to last year, and we can now say that Finland has established a genuine arena for discourse on Europe,’ rejoices Project Manager Väinö Kuusinen.
Most of the 50 segments of the Europe Forum were streamed live. The streams and their recordings were viewed roughly 4,100 times over the course of the three days.
The Europe Forum was well represented on various social media channels. On Twitter, 1,100 tweets were posted with the tags #eurooppafoorumi and #europeforum by roughly 400 users. On Facebook, posts on the Europe Forum by the City of Turku alone were seen by roughly 31,000 Facebook users.
Photos of Europe Forum Turku: https://bit.ly/2nhNSMT
This is Europe Forum Turku:
- Europe Forum Turku is an annual opening of the political season, discussing the role of Finland in Europe and the European Union. The event was organised for the first time in 2018.
- Europe Forum Turku provides topical information about the EU and promotes open, science-based dialogue between citizens and policymakers.
- The 2018 Europe Forum included a total of 30 events, in which almost 2,000 citizens interacted with a hundred experts and influencers. In addition, thousands of citizens participated in the Europe Market events.
- In 2019, the number of programme organisers has doubled, and there were over 50 separate events during the course of three days.
- The events of the 2019 forum were held at Visitor and Innovation Centre JOKI, Turku Main Library’s Studio and Library Yard, and the Vähätori Square event stage.